It would be an understatement to say that life has been anything but interesting lately. As you can see, I haven’t posted much in the past week or so. Well, we’ve had a lot of events occur back-to-back that kind of prevented me from being able to sit down and adequately write a post. So, I thought it would be a good idea to write about life lately. On that note, I also thought it would be good and fun to do a “life lately” post from time to time to fill you all in on the goings-on that don’t really get mentioned in most of my usual posts. My “life lately” posts would provide you with a snapshot of our lives beyond the blog.
- New Neighbors – As I mentioned in my “welcome new neighbors” post, we recently got new neighbors. They are incredibly sweet and very friendly. We’ve already established a wonderful relationship with them. I’m just so sad that we’ll be moving soon!
- Bite of the Black Widow – Yep, you read that right. No, it wasn’t me that got bitten; it was our 4-year old. He has a huge fascination with bugs, animals, pretty much anything that crawls and isn’t human. He loves to pick them up and mess with them. Let me tell you, that puts this mommy on edge. I can’t tell you how many times I have to explain why certain bugs or crawly/slithery things are not okay to pick up and play with. Well, a few weeks ago, he decided he would try holding a black spider (which turned out to be a black widow) that ended up biting him. He came running into the house screaming about a spider biting him and it hurting. I tried to handle the situation like any normal spider bite, but within 20 minutes he was feverish, vomiting, and in severe pain. We rushed him to the ER where he got seen right away and was soon admitted to the hospital. His pain level was so high that they ended up having to give him morphine. After a night in the hospital, he was well enough to continue his recovery at home. Needless to say, he doesn’t intend to try touching anymore spiders.
- go site Cloth Diapers – Hubby and I had been debating about joining the cloth diapering world for quite some time now, but we finally decided to take the plunge a few weeks ago. What lead us to this decision was mainly cost. With two boys still in diapers (and a newborn on the way), the expense of buying disposables was becoming too much. We were spending roughly $60-$70 per month on diapers and wipes! Holy cow! Of course, the other awesome benefits to cloth diapering helped make the decision much easier. Since starting just a few weeks ago, we’ve already seen a smidgen of the benefits. We are excited about this new venture, and I’m so thankful for a husband who is very supportive and just as excited as I am! (Btw, he made our own diaper sprayer splatter shield for less than half the cost of buying one, and it is much sturdier! I will be sharing a DIY of that this Friday, so keep a look-out for that!)
- Family Visits – Over Memorial weekend, one of my sisters and her family came to visit for a few days. It was so awesome to be with family again. I hadn’t laughed that hard in a very long time. I may or may not have peed my pants a few times. (Hey, cut me some slack, I’m pregnant. Bladder control does not come easily to a pregnant woman.) Every snippet of time with family makes me ache that much more for a time when we could actually live in the same area as family. We also discovered Isaac’s doppelganger. Cousins sometimes look alike, but my goodness, Isaac and my niece could seriously be siblings. These two are less than a month apart and, apart from gender, are practically twins! They look so much alike, they have the same mannerisms, and they even have the same quirks. It’s pretty much scary! These two are adorable!
- Beach Baby Corral – While my sister’s family was visiting, we went to the beach (of course). Hubby and I wanted to create an area for the babies and for those who aren’t a fan of the sand. I’m not trying to brag, but I think we came up with a pretty good idea.
- Virus Attack – Shortly after my sister’s family left, our boys got some sort of crazy virus. Our days were filled with managing fevers and cleaning up vomit and diarrhea. Oh the joys of parenthood! There was a lot of tv watching those days.
- Pre-Term Complications – Our most recent event was when I ended up in the hospital for pre-term contractions. I’ve had this issue with my past two pregnancies, but it never got this intense. The contractions started Thursday evening, so I did my normal routine for managing them and took a bath with Epsom salts and drank a lot of water. But, this time the contractions continued and got worse. When they started becoming 3 minutes apart and very painful, I told hubby that it was time to go to the hospital. We arranged for a babysitter and rushed to the hospital. I was scared. Baby girl was only 28 weeks. I cried. This wasn’t how things were supposed to happen. The next 24 hours were spent with the doctors trying with futile efforts to stop my contractions. They worsened, despite the medicines used to stop the contractions and despite the IV pain drugs to help relax my body. During that time, it seemed like baby girl was going to be coming. But, thankfully, my cervix never dilated more than a fingertip. I’ve had my babies naturally, and this seriously felt like my labor with Joshua. It was awful. Finally, after a few doses of morphine and a muscle relaxer, my body decided to calm down, and we were able to go home. It was a scary and very exhausting time. I am now on light bed rest (because strict bed rest is unrealistic for a mommy of 3 energetic, little boys and a husband in the Marine Corps). We weren’t out of the hospital for long before I was back in because of a high fever. Turns out I had gotten a virus. Yay fun! (Not!) I guess baby girl is already trying to make an imprint and show her brothers up. I sure will have stories to tell her when she is older! Hoo boy!
Thanks to my wonderful hubby for taking this lovely photo of me while I was doped up on morphine. He’ll pay for this . . .
- Bloggy Friend Visit – Okay, this I am SO excited about! My blog friend, Bailey, over at Becoming Bailey, will be coming to visit THIS weekend! We have been blogging friends for quite some time now, and this will actually be our first time meeting in person. She’ll be staying with us for a few days, and I am beyond excited about meeting her and spending time with her! I just hope I can get the house cleaned up before she gets here. Eeeek! So excited!
I had a few other updates to share. But, since this post has already gotten quite lengthy, I will leave it at that. So, there you have it – a peek into “life lately.”